Pages

Friday, March 17, 2006

Zadkine and Murphy's Law

After a hard day at work, I was tired and almost didn't do what I had planned...take my photo of the Zadkine statue in Rotterdam...The one with it's heart ripped out...I thought that it would be a great picture. But when I got there...it was gone...only a lonely socle stood firmly in place. After missing 'the Erasmus Bridge dissapearing in the morning fog' picture, this was just to much to take. I felt like Murphy's law was hunting me.
So I turned around....and what did I see? Zadkine in scaffolding. There were only a few peepholes, so I didn't think I got anything good, especially with the dirty glass. But when I got home and I started to play with compositions...I was surprised. No Murphy's Law after all, but a beautiful picture instead:
A story/statue with a hole in the middle and scaffoldings surrounding it... how much more 'Incomplete' can you get.


This statue is called 'The demolished city' and it's made by Ossip Zadkine. It's a symbol of Rotterdam after the WOII bombardment... a city with its heart ripped out.

2 comments:

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

It looks perfectly in place amidst the scaffolding, doesn't it?

Zoomfreaky said...

Yep, I was quite surprised myself. Nice of you to drop by. Loved your stories again...a good start of the weekend.