Pages

Tuesday, December 09, 2008

London Calling (day 1)

Taking a leap of fate…I stepped on the train Saturday morning and set of to London. Feeling a bit nervous and giddy at the same time, miles flew by and I submerged from under the watery Channel to see a beautiful English sky welcoming me. Before I knew it, I was checking out and stepping onto St. Pancras station. Japanese were all over the place, following their ‘umbrella’ leader like good little sheep. I just looked at them with a feeling of confused amusement. Looking around I felt a bit anxious…. where was he? Could it be possible that I was stood up, having come all the way to London? Ignoring nervous bubbles in my stomach I took the stairs and got to the top of the station to watch the beautiful clockwork towering over it like a faithful guardian. On the platform was a statue of the poet sir John Betjeman looking up. But that was not what interested me…the words engraved in the floor around it where just staggeringly beautiful. Painting images, echoing and bouncing inside my head. Making me feel light-headed.

"And in the shadowless unclouded glare. Deep blue above us fades to whiteness where. A misty sea-line meets the wash of air."
By Cornish Cliffs

And then he was coming up the stairs and I couldn’t restrain the smile that broke my face in half. It was good to see him again. It only had been two weeks, I really didn’t know what to expect. But the rush of glowing sparkles running up my back told me I was ok. Just keeping my fingers crossed I watched him get closer and closer still. Looking into his eyes, it felt a bit like coming home. How strange to not really know someone and feel right at home and comfortable as if I have known him forever.

And then off we went…to the The London Eye (Millennium Wheel). Walking hand in hand with light so beautiful, backlighting Big Ben, the Millenium Wheel and all the heads of the people swirling underneath me. I so wanted to go on the wheel but the queue was just too much. And standing underneath it and looking up in awe was enough for me.
I got a bit distracted anyway…



Walking along the Thames with the setting sunlight streaking and vibrating, painting beautiful pictures of all the people that were gathering around…it felt a bit like being in Paris. As soon as the sun set, it got silly cold though and we decided to go to a local Wine bar Gordan’s. The atmosphere in there was just amazing. We were in catacombs so low you could almost bump your head on the ceiling. That and the low lighting created a very intimate feel to the place. I already felt giddy when I first stepped into this bar. But after a couple of glasses of good wine, I felt like skipping and singing and and and…then we kissed… And I could have lit the whole city for an hour.

On the way home we got some amazing sushi and then we were on the boat to the Docklands, speeding over the Thames, lights dancing on the water. Music rushing through and over us, looking at each other with foolish grins and twinkly eyes. I just felt so spoiled and pampered to the bone. Out of the boat and into a London taxi I saw a fox passing us by, just around the corner of his house. And like a little kid, I just kept jumping up and down shouting….”A fox, look a fox, a fox….damn…a FOX” A fox in the middle of London who could imagine. I love those beasties, the smart eyes, the fluffy ears, beautiful red coat and the prancing and light gait. It felt like a promise, a sign or just a small wonder. And then we were home….

No comments: