Pages

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

London Calling (day 3)



Waking up to see a beautiful view, colours bouncing of the buildings across the water, like city gems showing of their shine. It felt again like home. A memory of a sunrise ages ago popped up to fill me with childhood memories of waking up on the deck of our ship. Pink sky, little swirls of mist, birds diving, playing and skipping the surface of the water. Horses grazing or standing a bit dazed in pastures heavy with dew and sparkling with the promise of a new day. My third day in London started out good, a promise of the things to come.

Then mister D. opened his laptop and panic broke out. So much to do, so much to do. I just smiled, I had intended to explore the surroundings for 2 days now and I would like some time on my own, just strolling around, talking to people and taking in the sights. Thinking about the last couple of days and letting it all sink in. So I grabbed my cam, kissed him goodbye and inhaled the fresh morning air.

I enjoyed my little trip to the end of the dock very much. Taking pictures that my friend described as “Only you can go to London and come back with pictures like this.” Meaning you really have no clue what or where the pictures are taken. But I know and so they are like little memory cards stacked away in my little room upstairs. For me to pick up and ponder on, now that I’m back home. Somehow it’s just too quiet.




It was surprising how I felt at home standing at the dock of the bay. Overlooking the Dome, watching the container homes stacked 4 stories high. The feel of this artist community so felt like my own home, the air sizzling with creative energy. The quiet, the water, the view, everything felt familiar. As if I have been here a thousand times before and still can get caught up in the feel of this place…the edge of the world in the middle of a metropolis. “I could live here” …the thought crossed my mind briefly and I was dumbfounded. Me, the one who always wanted to get away, see far horizons, travel the world…but always stayed home. Me…the one who couldn’t stand the thought of being far away from friends, family and all that is familiar…that me? Let go of everything and everyone and just go. I didn’t know I had it in me…but now I do.



My little trip to the new edge of my world ended up in an American diner on the edge of the water called Fatboy’s Diner. I walked into the mid fifties in one little step and almost expected to find Elvis sitting at the counter eating an early morning burger. To honour his memory I ordered potato peelings with chili and sourcream and the first Coke I had in ages. Sipping my drink and savouring each bite, I watched the customers come and go, talk to the Italian owner with his big eyes and curly hair. The owner was very talkative and I was curious how he ended up here. So he shared the short version of his life story with me. He came to London to improve his English, fell in love with the city, bought this diner and never looked back…and that was 15 years ago. I just smiled…


And before I knew it, I was eating a tasty cabbage/union/bacon lunch with mister D. and was whisked away to the train station once more.
These last hours seemed to have slowed down to a mere halt and then time pressed a ferocious FFW and suddenly I was sitting in the car, kissing lips I knew I wouldn’t feel for quite some time. And then I was out the door, into the train, through the tunnel and out of the country. When I will be seeing that beautiful English sky…I don’t know. But I know one thing, it will have been to long.

I have learned a lot about myself this weekend and have a lot to think about. But if there is one thing I have…then it’s time…let’s hope it spreads it’s wings and flies fast and true.

No comments: