Pages

Friday, September 07, 2007

No next of Kin

I seem to live in a world that I don't recall. Fathers who don't act as fathers and only think of themselves. A person formally known as brother no. 2, tells me on the phone that I'm not direct next of kin and so am not invited to his private birthday party which only includes brothers and sisters. And hell if I'm not one of them. This came to me like a total shock...WHAT?!
I mean give me a break, I haven't felt up and running for a few months, with me doing 2 jobs at the same time, having to have my poor cat put to sleep, feeling detached from longtime friends, feeling bummer most of the time. But ....there's always family...NOT. Not until your mother is dead like 13 years and you are considered a once upon a time stepsister who doesn't live just round the block. Oh fuck off.

I can understand that he wants to have a small party since his wife is pregnant and ready to burst and sick at the same time. But why does my other sister in law thinks it's only obvious that I should be there? Why does she expect me to be here, today on your sofa? Because she thinks I part of the family. How dare you be so cruel as to call me no next of kin in my face. That's why I'm so furious, who cares about an intimate dinner for....people. Those words you can't take back. And it makes it clear where you stand. Here is where I stand...piss off! You are no brother of mine. And dad if you're listening...you can bugger off too.

2 comments:

Hayden said...

I AM sorry to read this. I think *family* rarely fits in the molds we long for. Remember that *Family* are the people we are born to, but friends are the family we choose. There are rare familes that are an exception to this rule, that actually behave with love and loyalty. But only enough exceptions to make the rest of it hurt more.

As painful as it is - perhaps it was a cruel blessing. It's always good to know where you stand, even if that is not where you want it to be. Now you know where your loyalties/responsibilities lie - never towards him and his wife - and so you can't be taken advantage of -

He's effectively told you that you owe him nothing.

Zoomfreaky said...

Thanx Hayden, it is a kind of blessing, not fun to hear, but an eye-opener non the less. Got no problems with his wife. Not even with him anymore, I know now where I stand and you can't make anyone feel what you want them to feel. That doesn't mean that he doesn't care for me. Just not in the same way that I do. That's clear by now...thanx for your kind and wise comment...:) I will take it to heart.